OUr Rating summary
Overall customer rating
About 80% of customers would recommend this product to you
(Rate at the time of publishing)
Goal zero yeti 400, a solar generator, is safe for both indoor and outdoor use. As a potential use, possibly you are wondering whether goal zero yeti is actually worth you money. That is the exact purpose of this impartial Goal zero yeti 400 review-it seeks to enlighten you on various aspects of this kit, ensuring you get value for your money. Continue reading to gain an understand of features,
Features and benefits of Goal zero yeti 400 solar generator kit
- Outputs Pure Sine Wave Form Electrical power - Goal zero yeti 400 produces Alternating Current (AC) in pure sine waveform, and hence can be used with even the most sensitive electrical devices. It creates very clean AC electrical power output, not unlike the power you would ordinarily obtain from a utility company. Since pure sine elements are somewhat complex, their prices tend to be relatively high compared to conventional portable generators of the same capacity. This is not the case, however, for Goal Zero 400 as it is affordable yet pure sine electrical power. For this reason, Zero Yeti is the best means of powering sensitive medical electrical equipment such CPAP machine.
- It’s an all-in-One Solar Generator - Yeti 400 manual is an inverter/power center complete with integrated battery output ports that output AC and DC ideal for powering a wide variety of devices and appliances. You will, however, need an inverter, capable of powering power tools, fridges, computers, tablets, laptops and several other devices within 400 W 120 VAC power range. Furthermore, the battery in the unit is compact and hence does not increase the size and weight of solar generator. Goal zero yeti 400 can be charged via the included wall charger or any of its solar panels. It has a convenient display system can be turned off when not in use that is very easy to read, showing output and input power in amps, volts, and watts. For powering your devices, the unit has both AC and DC outputs and two USB ports, 12 Volts charging port as well as two 120 Volts charging points.
- Ability to chain several units together - Goal Yeti’s 400 W hour battery pack is capable of providing 300 W of continuous power. This 300 watts continues power coupled with 600 Watts of max surge (110V, 2.6A) implies that Goal zero yeti 400 outputs enough power to operate a mini fridge. For an even longer run time, chain as many as four identical solar generators. The reason a user has to limit the number to four generators is charging time increases with increase in the number of batteries. (Each Yeti comes with a battery to be charged).
- Goal Yeti is rated at 400 W-hours - Implying that when charging it from say a car battery’s 30W (12volt and 2.5 amperes for 1 hour), it will take 13 hours to fully charge it. Note that 13 multiplied by 30 gives 390Wh, almost 400 W-hours required. Chaining more than four will require a prohibitively long duration of time (165 hours!). The same applies to other Yeti’s recharging modes, charging time increases to unwarrantable numbers. Check the table below for more info. It is important to note that chaining together goal zero yeti 400 solar generator kits will not increase output power; it only increases storage capacity.
Yeti 400’s Charging time for various charging types
Wall charger (72W)
Car charger (30W)
Nomad 20 Solar Panel
40 - 80 hours
Builder 30Solar Panel
Builder 90 Solar Panel
Escape 30 Brief Case
Read more: What size generator do I need?
Pros and Cons of Using This Product
WHAT WE LIKE
- Multiple ways of charging - Goal Zero Yeti can be charge through three different ways. Its built-in charge controller enables its user to charge it from a wide variety of sources. The charge controller is responsible for maintaining the correct charging voltage to prevent overcharging the battery. The following are the three ways: ● Wall - Achieved by plugging the solar generator into a regular wall outlet. ● The Car - Goal Zero Yeti can also be charged by plugging the unit into a car’s 12 Volts adapter. ● The Sun - It has an 8 mm input charging port capable of drawing 120 Watts of solar power. Charging is achieved by establishing connection from the generator to a compatible solar panel
- Pass Though Power - Yeti 400 permits pass through power, which means it can be used to power an electrical appliance while plugged into a preferred power source. If the preferred charging source is AC, the solar generator simply passes the AC power to the output. When the power from the wall goes out, Goal zero yeti 400 takes over immediately and continue supplying electric power to the appliance.
- Built-in LCD Display - The idyllic operating temperatures for this gas-free portable generator range from 32 to 104F (0-40 Celsius). It, however, has an LCD display designed to aid in the monitoring of battery level, displaying output and input as well as estimating runtimes. The solar generator also has a built-in warning indicator that indicates when the charge level is low.
WHAT WE DON'T LIKE
- Limited Power Supply - While it can supply 600 Watts of peak power, the inverter may not be able to support sump pump, ordinary refrigerator and/or other power-thirsty devices. This challenge can, however, be overcome by connecting several identical units together.
- Takes a little bit long time to charge - This Goal zero yeti 400 solar generator’s trivial downside can be lessened by charging it while it is in use. It will still take the same time to charge.
Goal zero yeti 400
Convenient display that indicates the input and output power, battery level among many other aspects seemed to have been the selling point of one client. He simply could not believe that with goal zero Yeti 400 he will henceforth not need to guess these very vital data. Everything is displayed making its use an enjoyable one.
Another customer was could not hide his joy after managing to live the life totally off the utility. She is a love of scouting and camping, and having started using a CPAP medical machine a short while ago, meant goal zero yeti 400 would suit her best. Before pumping on it, she feared she would be limited to the summer camp attendance. She wasn’t, Thanks to this amazing solar generator.
Want to watch the video of Unboxing The Goalzero Yeti 400 Solar Generator. Check it out:
Conclusion of Goal Zero Yeti 400 Review
Goal zero Yeti 400 is certainly ideal for everyone. For anyone looking for a portable solar generator that outputs pure sine waveforms for both outdoor and indoor use, this generator comes in handy. Just like this Goal zero yeti 400 review has vividly shown, there are multiple reasons for anyone to invest in it. Even if you are not a fan of camping and scouting, you will definitely love the freedom that comes with not depending on the grid. It does not disappoint!